There are several ways to get to Monteverde from San Jose and San Jose Airport, please notice that the last 20 km to Monteverde are not paved and the road is stretch and bumpy, depending on your preferences and needs here are the transportation options from San Jose to Monteverde:
Public Bus to Monteverde:
Public buses are perfect for low budget trips, backpackers and sinlge travelers.
The San Jose-Monteverde bus is provided by Transmonteverde, the bus station is located at Terminal 7-10 in San Jose Downtown.
- Schedule: Departing everyday at 6:30AM and 2:30PM
- Phone number: Transmonteverde 2519-9950 / 2645-7447 / 2645-5433
- Drivig time: Approximately 4.5 hours.
- Price: Around $6US (2800 colones)
- Comfort Level: Low
Note: Please be careful with your belongings in this area of San Jose!
A popular and economic way to travel , it provides you more comfort, driver can pick you up at your hotel in San Jose or the *selected pickup place near the San Jose Airport.
- Schedule: Departing everyday at 8:00AM and 2:30PM (From San Jose) / 8:30AM and 3:00PM (From San Jose Airport)
- Drivig time: Approximately 3.5 hours.
- Price: $53US per person
- Reservations: If you're traveling from San Jose Downtown click on the folowong link: Shared Shuttle from San Jose Downtown to Monteverde, if departing from San Jose Airport Shared Shuttle from San Jose Airport to Monteverde
- Comfort Level: Medium
*Note: Pickup place when departing from San Jose Airport is at Denny's Restaurant, just 5 minutes away from the Airport exit, for your safety please take a taxi to get there.
Perfect for couples, families and groups that want more flexibility and comfort while traveling to Monteverde.
- Schedule: Flexible departing time.
- Drivig time: Approximately 3 hours.
- Price: $175US per trip (6 passengers max), for larger groups please contact Transportation in Costa Rica
- Reservations: If you're traveling from San Jose Downtown click on the folowong link: Private Transfer from San Jose Downtown to Monteverde, if departing from San Jose Airport Private Transfer from San Jose Downtown to Monteverde
- Comfort Level: High
Driving From San Jose Airport
If you prefer to drive yourself, here some directions, we highly recommend getting a GPS:
- Take the Interamerica Highway, heading to San Ramon
- After San Ramon, continue the road following the signs to Liberia
- Pass Esparza continue driving to Liberia
- After Puntarenas continue driving to Liberia
- Turn right onto exit to Sardinal
- Follow sings to Monteverde
Driving time from San Jose to Monteverde: Approximately 3 hours
Distance from San Jose to San Jose: Approximately 140 Km